What counts as risky behaviour?
As parents, we need to be able to recognize what some of the key indicators are for immaturity and address them.
- Lying to avoid punishment
- Not planning ahead
- Putting peer relationships ahead of everything else (underground, gangster-like affiliations)
- Using cutting, substances, video games and other self-destructive behaviour to avoid difficult feelings and/or soothe anxiety
- Treating adults with disrespect
- Dependency of any kind
- Illness, school refusal or truancy
- Emotional outbursts
- “Centre-of-the-universe-itis” or narcissism
Immature thoughts will create immature or risky behaviours. Recognizing signs of risky behaviour is the first step in addressing your teen’s concerns.
- Substance use
- Promiscuous sexual behaviours
- Skipping school
- Anxiety, depression
- Withdrawing from friends/family
- Difficulty shutting off devices
- Apathy towards things thaw were once of interest
- Somatic complaints (headache, stomachache)