Location: Algonquin Park, Ontario
Reports to: Dual reporting to Wilderness Clinical Lead and Wilderness Program Manager
Pine River Institute is a live-in treatment centre for youth 13 to 19 years of age struggling with substance abuse and addictive behaviours. Our program includes; a therapeutic wilderness program phase near Algonquin Park, followed by a live-in phase at our campus located on a 200-acre site 100 kms northwest of Toronto. Our program uses a progressive discharge approach that is complemented by an aftercare program. Our family-centred program is innovative and highly structured, and creates opportunities for adolescents to engage in a focused transformation process through a fusion of education, therapy, recreation, and life skills. The majority of our students are from Ontario. We receive funding support from the Ministry of Health and academic support through the Ministry of Education.
We are currently seeking experienced Wilderness Field Instructors to help us deliver this unique program, primarily in Algonquin Park area.
We are looking for individuals with the qualifications and related experience in Wilderness field work. This individual will demonstrate patience, integrity, commitment, and an ability to maintain clear boundaries, and a sense of humour.
- WFR with experience managing backcountry medical issues
- Minimum Bronze Cross Certification with NLS preferred
- B.A., B.Sc., or college diploma in related field
- Experience working with at-risk youth and young adults in a wilderness setting
- Clear certification of Vulnerable Sector Criminal Check
- Eligibility to work in Canada
- planning, preparing and understanding logistics and equipment needs while in the woods
- teaching basic wilderness/survival skills
- leading and coordinating daily travel and outdoor activities/initiatives, canoeing, hiking etc
- ensuring therapeutic goals of the program in general and the individual therapeutic plan for the students are realized
- ensuring student safety and well-being
- organizing, leading and participating in student’s daily activities
- participation in and facilitation of group meetings and discussions
Key competencies required to be successful in this role
- Leadership Communication Initiative
- Problem Solving Critical Thinking Team Work
- 2-5 years in outdoor education/ wilderness guiding role
The schedule is run on a rotation of 9 days in the field, 3 days off, 3 days base camp, and 6 days off shift. The role is challenging and rewarding for the right candidate. If you are passionate about the outdoors, and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you!
We offer competitive compensation, and the opportunity to be part of an exciting and innovative program. Salaried positions starting at $40,788/year with bonus program, and Health, Dental & LTD Benefits.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to Jennifer Rutledge, Director Human Resources; fax to 519-925-9220 or mail to 606060 River Road, Mulmur ON L9V 0S9
We thank all candidates who apply. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Pine River Institute strives to ensure that all recruiting processes are non-discriminatory and barrier-free. If you require an accommodation, please advise in advance of attending an interview.