OUTDOOR LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE (OLE) FIELD INSTRUCTOR,
Location: Huntsville, Algonquin and Shelburne, Ontario
Reports to: Dual reporting to Outdoor Leadership Therapist and Wilderness Program Manager
Pine River Institute is an innovative co-ed residential treatment program for teens struggling with addictive behaviours. We are a family-centered program comprised of 4 phases: Wilderness (Outdoor Leadership Experience), Residential, Transition, and Aftercare. Every student, upon entering the program, spends 8 or more weeks in Huntsville before moving to the residence. Day-to-day activities in wilderness include canoeing, hiking, snowshoeing, group initiatives, group and individual therapy, and journaling. Youths live and work in nature in groups of up to eight, with three staff.
Our campus is situated on 200 acres of spectacular Niagara Escarpment land near Shelburne, Ontario. The program here includes outdoor education, individual, group, and family therapy, expressive arts, athletics, and life skills, as well as the more traditional academic offerings.
We are currently seeking experienced Wilderness Field Instructors to help us deliver this unique program, primarily in Huntsville or Algonquin Park and also at the Shelburne campus.
We are looking for individuals with the qualifications and related experience in Wilderness field work. This individual will demonstrate patience, integrity, commitment, and an ability to maintain clear boundaries, and a sense of humour.
· WFR with experience managing backcountry medical issues
· Minimum Bronze Cross Certification with NLS preferred
· B.A., B.Sc., or college diploma in related field
· Experience working with at-risk youth and young adults in a wilderness setting
· Clear certification of Vulnerable Sector Criminal Check
· Willingness to secure Canadian work permit, if required
· planning, preparing and understanding logistics and equipment needs while in the woods
· teaching basic wilderness/survival skills
· leading and coordinating daily travel and outdoor activities/initiatives, canoeing, hiking etc
· ensuring therapeutic goals of the program in general and the individual therapeutic plan for the students are realized
· ensuring student safety and well-being
· organizing, leading and participating in student’s daily activities
· participation in and facilitation of group meetings and discussions
Key competencies required to be successful in this role
· Leadership Communication Initiative
· Problem Solving Critical Thinking Team Work
· 2-5 years in outdoor education/ wilderness guiding role
The schedule is run on a rotation of 9 days in the field, 3 days off, 3 days working at the campus near Shelburne or 3 days at Base, and 6 days off shift. The role is challenging and rewarding for the right candidate. If you are passionate about the outdoors, and want to make a difference, we want to hear from you!
We offer competitive compensation, and the opportunity to be part of an exciting and innovative program. Salaried positions $37,502 with guarantee increases every 6 months for 2yrs, Car allowance, 3 weeks Vacation, Health, Dental & LTD Benefits.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to Jennifer Rutledge, Director Human Resources firstname.lastname@example.org ; fax to 519-925-9220 or mail to 606060 River Road, Mulmur ON L9V 0S9
We thank all candidates who apply. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Pine River Institute strives to ensure that all recruiting processes are non-discriminatory and barrier-free. If you require an accommodation, please advise in advance of attending an interview.