The Woodbury Reports are widely read and respected by parents and professionals, in particular educational consultants in the U.S. and Canada who are looking for a program as a potential placement for their client or child. It provides an independent assessment of Pine River by U.S. evaluator Lon Woodbury who compares Pine River with similar programs internationally.
You can see the full report here
Here are some highlights:
- “Arriving at the 200 acre campus, it looked like a typical idyllic program with students who looked and acted much like typical teens, which considering their past indicates an impressive accomplishment. The initial impression is very similar to what I see at other quality therapeutic boarding schools.”
- “This coed program serves students ages 13-19 with a primary emphasis on substance abuse. But they don’t stop there. They are very strong in working with a multitude of other serious disorders also, to the extent that they often will accept a child who has been rejected by other treatment facilities.”
- “This program works with a very troubled population whose typical alternative would have been some secure and highly clinical treatment center that was closed off for their own protection…Pine River’s option of a healthy, open and natural environment for treatment is a much better alternative.”
- “In all, there is a concept of a continuing flow of progress starting with the impact of the initial wilderness and gradually, step by step, helping the students progress toward living successfully on their own.”
- “Pine River Institute was specifically designed to incorporate the best aspects of existing programs and the evidence base available in studies of adolescent development, mental health and addiction treatment… it appears that they have been very successful at that and it seems that Pine River is getting great results.”