Start date: March 26, 2018
Reports to: CEO, Pine River Institute
Reporting to the CEO, Pine River Institute, the Director of Communications will lead the internal and external communications activities including print materials, website, social media, and e-newsletters/reports to highlight, illustrate, and positively position PRI programs and services to internal and external stakeholders.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
The specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Develop a strategic perspective and communications plan based on the needs of the organization
- Oversee and manage website development and maintenance ensuring, digital media tools are in place to build strong positive online presence for PRI; outreach capabilities through search optimization, social media and online marketing strategies, webinars and blogs
- Create and distribute regular communications including regular newsletter to reach and inform a variety of stakeholders such as clients, government, media and general public, creating understanding, interest, and education about PRI and its programs and services
- Develop strategies and products for key audiences such as PRI staff, families, referral sources, government funders, general public, etc.
- Develop strong internal relationships to provide service and support for PRI staff and Board on communications, media relations, advertising, and promotional issues, communication needs and priorities
- Manage updating of various PRI manuals and handbooks, policies (non-HR)
- Write and edit presentations, press releases, advertising and promotional material ensuring effective and consistent message and image
- Provide outreach opportunities for public and industry presentations and interviews, and represent PRI as required
- Work closely with Pine River Foundation to ensure alignment and consistency in communication approaches, as well as assist with accessing content for philanthropic donors
- Additional duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrated background, which supports a strong, strategic understanding, focus and perspective combined with the interest and ability to be very “hands-on” in the role
- Evidence of effective and well developed writing and editing ability and experience
- Networking and interpersonal skills, which have been shown to build effective working relationships with a variety of contacts, senior management, peers, employees, clients including parents, students and referring agents
- Management and organizational skills capable of ensuring deadlines and multi-tasking requirements are consistently met
- Ability to strategically use social media to advance communication objectives
- Analytical skills to analyze market and legislative information and trends, anticipate implications, create and report and suggest alternative solutions and recommendations
- Experience, ability and knowledge to lead and take responsibility for the effective development and maintenance of the PRI website. The capability to secure and make use of the tools available and as introduced to maximize the full potential of the website in the evolving social networking and technical aspects of the internet
- Proven track record of introducing, inspiring and managing continuous improvement. This requires a passionate commitment to quality control, and a drive to proactively averting problems and improving systems
- A “whatever it takes” attitude combined with enthusiasm for both the creation and hands-on management of an effective communications within an educational and therapeutic operation. This requires aptitude for overseeing a multitude of daily details without losing sight of larger strategic goals; a sense of humour and an ability to remain focussed under pressure
- Ability and ingenuity to work within a limited budget and resourcefulness to execute well even with limited resources
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Positive energy and outstanding interpersonal skills. Able to communicate and listen effectively and respectfully with a broad and diverse audience including employees, students, parents, community stakeholders, referring agents, and government authorities
- Flexibility, resiliency, tenacity, good judgment and attention to detail. As the final eyes on most PRI communication products, you must ensure that they reflect well on the organization. A keen intellect, a drive for personal, as well as organizational excellence, a strong work ethic and a positive attitude. High personal and professional standards and a reputation for honesty and integrity
- 5+ years’ experience in communications and marketing or related field
- 5+ years of management experience in a dynamic, fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment
- University or College degree, preferably in communications discipline and/or demonstrated professional and work experience equivalency within the field
- Regular travel to the PRI main campus in the vicinity of Shelburne, Ontario
We offer competitive compensation, and the opportunity to be part of an exciting and innovative program.
Interested candidates should send resume and cover letter to Gayle Dennison, Human Resources Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 10, 2018. We thank all candidates who apply. Please note that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Pine River Institute strives to ensure that all recruiting processes are non-discriminatory and barrier-free. If you require an accommodation, please advise in advance of attending an interview.