Start date: ASAP
Location: near Shelburne, Ontario
Reports to: the Executive Chef/Kitchen Manager
Minimum 32 hours per week
The ideal candidate will possess a passion for healthy cooking, good time management skills, ability to multitask and to work well unsupervised. This position would appeal to someone who enjoys cooking fresh, simple meals for large groups of people (40-60 persons).
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist Executive Chef/Kitchen Manager with planning and preparation of meals for students, staff and visitors including:
- planning daily menus (to include vegetarian, student and dietary requirements) within prescribed nutritional guidelines, taking advantage of seasonal items including produce from our garden.
- Involvement, as requested by Executive Chef/Kitchen Manager, in interviewing, training, scheduling, and supervising. all kitchen staff to ensure all food is prepared to the appropriate standards of quality, nutrition and cleanliness.
- In the absence of the Executive Chef/Kitchen Manager the Assistant Kitchen Manager will take charge of the kitchen team. Maintaining identical and consistent standards as directed by the Executive Chef/Kitchen Manager.
- Keep abreast of commercial kitchen cleaning standards as outlined by Ontario Public Health regulations and manage the cleaning and maintenance schedule.
- Assist in scheduling weekly, monthly, and annual cleaning and maintenance of all kitchen machinery.
- Fully engaged in teaching our students basic cooking skills.
- Train and monitor all Residential Youth Counsellors in meeting Health and Safety kitchen standards.
- Monitor all temperature, and sanitization logs to ensure regular updates are completed properly.
- Follow and oversee Safe Food Handlers safety regulations.
Qualifications, Skills, & Experience
- Previous experience cooking for 50+ people
- Mature, reliable with a good sense of humour
- Team player
- Ability to work with no supervision
- Able to prioritize duties and work within time allotted
- Possess valid and up to date Safe Food Handlers Certificate
- Completed College of Trade course as Cook, Chef an asset
Interested candidates should apply to Gayle Dennison, Manager Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 1, 2017.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Pine River Institute strives to ensure that all recruiting processes are non-discriminatory and barrier-free. If you require an accommodation, please advise in advance of attending the interview.